Thursday, August 27, 2009

A sign of the times....

We have a new sign in front of our house announcing a SMS cheerleader lives here. Megan is posing with the sign and she's appropriately wearing one of her many cheer t-shirts.
This is all new to me & Bruce since we grew up in small town Iowa. Suburban high school parents are really involved with not one booster club for the school but rather a separate booster club for each sport. They even have a booster club for the choir, band, and theatre departments. I recall one Lohrville booster club that sold seaters and jackets. That was it -- not in OP, KS. Although we do fund raise too - anyone want to buy frozen cookie dough :)

We have a booster club just for cheerleading and I (Brenda) am the new treasurer. I think everyone else was afraid to count money :) We have our own SMS cheerleading spirit wear, signs, car decals, etc. It's kind of crazy. And...each sport/group booster club has their own end of season banquet.

So...the next time you drive by a house and see one of these signs, you'll know there's a very involved booster club doing a ton of work behind the scenes. It's all new to me...I'm curious if this was the case in Minot, ND and Wichita. Maybe SMS is normal and Lohrville was the exception.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It wasn't normal in Minot. Though we did have boosters for some individual sports/activities (I remember boosters for wrestling and band, I'm sure my mom remembers many more :-) ). Theater was supported by different businesses around town. We would place their ads in the show flyer. (I know this because I was in charge of approaching the businesses and selling ads!) We didn't have signs to put outside of our houses though...that must be a new thing!