Tuesday, June 29, 2010

2nd Island Stop - Port in St. Thomas

One of the best parts of a cruise is going into & out of port. We would all stand on Deck 12 the whole time we pulled in & out. St. Thomas was fun cause we came into port at 11am. We were able to get up, eat breakfast, & then go watch the island appear.

This is Charlotte-Amalia, St. Thomas. I think it was named after a queen but is now part of the US Virgin Islands. I didn't realize how these islands are all divided up between the US, British, French, & Dutch. It's like every country wanted an island paradise to own.


This photo gives you a idea how big the ship is. This port was the nicest with shops nearby. They did load you into taxis (like cattle) from the ship & then stopped half-way to the shopping area & asked everyone for $4. I guess you'd have to walk back to the ship if you didn't have cash with you.
More pics of the island and the houses built into the hills.


We did an excursion to St. John during this stop but I'll do a separate post since there are lots of pics to share.
Here's Bruce & the kids as we leave St. Thomas around 7pm.


Here's a pic of the parents - notice Bruce is gotee-less so he can snorkel. He's since grown it back which makes me happy :)
And the kiddos - lots of pictures of them being nice to each other.
Sunset photo that didn't turn out well but you get the idea. I needed Derek's photo expertise!!
Ryan is our sunset fool (I admit I love them too). He tried and tried to get a good sunset pic on his camera phone. That's not an easy thing to do. It was much prettier than this picture.
Bad thing about St. Thomas was the kids figured out they had cell phone coverage. They were good sports about putting them away again but did pout a little about what they were missing with their friends. Not too bad though.

Good night & goodbye St. Thomas - wish we could have stayed longer!

Tomorrow's post is our trip to St. John during our stay in St. Thomas. It's a quick boat ride away.

No comments: