Friday, June 25, 2010

On the Cruise - First Day

We spent the first day exploring the ship. I was amazed at the size. It's like a mini-city and luckily they have maps everywhere. I didn't get pictures of Cape Canaveral but that's not really a regret since it's just a port - don't ever plan a vacation there!

This is all of us on the Promenade Deck (which was 5 out of 15). It's like a small shopping mall. They had a pizza shop & deli with free food but also places where you had to pay like Ben & Jerry's. Why would you pay when there is tons of good free food? Bruce & the kids got Ben & Jerry's one night but I refused and had a free tiramisu instead.
There is a different towel animal in your cabin each night. This was doggy night. I didn't get pictures of them all but I recall an elephant, monkey, & bat. I should have gotten a better picture of our stateroom. We had an ocean view so there's a big window behind those curtains. We were on the 3rd Deck though so mostly we saw waves. The kids beds pulled out of the ceiling. They said it was like being in a camper - pretty close comparison.

Here's a good view from Deck 12 which is where we liked to hang out. All the pools where on Deck 11. There were 3 - a kiddie pool area, an adults only area, & this main pool. The main pool was more fun since all the dance lessons, belly flop contest, & bands played here.

And here's a view of the pool area on a normal at sea day. I think I'm in this picture for the 70s line dance lesson. Anyone want to do the hustle? Bruce & the kids didn't but I thought it was fun. Bruce did do the salsa dance lessons with me so look out at the next family wedding dance!!

Being on the boat was a novelty and fun for a day or so. It is very relaxing. The best part about a cruise is coming in & out of port at the islands and the island excursions. I'm saving those for last since it's the best photos. More on the boat pictures for tomorrow.
One thing about our cruise that was great was our cruise director. No - not Julie from the Love Boat. His name was Allan Brooks & he was hilarious. The cruise entertainment staff did a 70s dance party on the Promenade Deck one night & they dressed like the Village People. They also did an 80s dance party - gotta love that. The shows were good but most were super cheesy. I did like the Drifters though & the comedians.
Best part of the cruise - my super motion sick boys didn't get sea sick at all. Yea!!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

When my family went on a cruise over my 18th birthday, my dad took the salsa lesson with me too. I think my mom was a little disappointed because she's tried so hard to get my dad to take dance lessons with her in the past and he hasn't wanted to, but when I asked him to do it, he did it at a drop of a hat. Good for Bruce!

Anonymous said...

Lauren - That's fun. We'll all have to salsa together at one of the kids' weddings (Mallory thru Mikiah). It's funny cause I'll hear a song on the radio and think - that would be a great salsa song.

We did pretty good when they were calling out the steps - even when they sped up the music. But once we had to decide the steps ourselves - not so good. We defintiely need more practice. Maybe that will go on my empty-nester bucket list :)

Anonymous said...

Lauren - That's fun. We'll all have to salsa together at one of the kids' weddings (Mallory thru Mikiah). It's funny cause I'll hear a song on the radio and think - that would be a great salsa song.

We did pretty good when they were calling out the steps - even when they sped up the music. But once we had to decide the steps ourselves - not so good. We defintiely need more practice. Maybe that will go on my empty-nester bucket list :)