Time to switch sports for Ryan -- from football to basketball. The season started with a tournament before Thanksgiving. The boys didn't play well the first game but improved throughout the weekend. They had only practiced once before the tournament & it showed.
Ry plays with a group of his friends that have been together for years. All except 2 boys are also on his football team. They play basketball like they play football - rough! I'm sure teams hate to see us hit the court cause they know it will be a foul-fest. This incredibly scrappy approach seems to work - they won 46 to 30 yesterday (12/7). Sometimes I wish they were in football pads to play basketball since Ryan spends an unusual amount of time on the floor.
Sorry these pictures are blurry - they were taken with my cell phone & the gym lighting was bad. You can also tell he didn't want his picture taken. Ryan's friend Luke moved to a competitive level basketball team this year. He has always been our high scorer. The other boys are stepping up though & filling the void. Ryan had 8 points yesterday which is a high score for him. He also had quite a few rebounds. I'm not ready to call him a "vanilla gorilla" yet but he's being more aggressive on the boards already this year.
I promise to blog after his games to give you all his stats (Dad!) & everyone else can skip that part if they want. I will try to get some video for you. Or...you can jump on an airplane & come see him play live - haha!
Best play of the game -- Ryan was following the play down the court (cause he's not fast) and the kid stops dribbling & picks up the ball. He didn't realize Ryan was behind him & pulls the ball back. Ry runs up behind & grabs the ball without fouling him -- jump ball. The other kid didn't even know what happened & Ryan didn't foul him. It was funny. The look on the other kid's face was like "where'd you come from?" See -- there are benefits to being slow :) I thought you'd appreciate this story Brent since you love a good "jump ball" call!
No comments:
Post a Comment